Facebook Instagram Twitter You tube

News

Animal Rescue Corps (ARC) assisted the Page County Sheriff’s Office and Animal Control today in the rescue of approximately 120 dogs and four parrots found living in extremely neglectful conditions at a breeding facility at a home in Page County, VA, about two hours west of Washington, D.C. All of the animals were seized by the Page County Sheriff’s Office.

Adult dogs as well as newborn litters of puppies of a variety of small breeds were found crowded into small, crates and pens the conditions were deemed deplorable by the Virginia State Veterinarian. Several dogs did not have access to clean water or adequate shelter in temperatures set to reach 86 degrees today. The dogs were suffering from untreated, painful eye infections, respiratory conditions, dental issues, severe matting that limited their mobility and vision, and urine-soaked fur. The parrots were living in extremely dirty cages, exposed to high levels of ammonia and without access to adequate water.

“Animals have been suffering from various untreated illnesses on this property for an extended period of time. The conditions were very typical of a puppy mill where animals are treated as nothing more than breeding machines,” said ARC President Scotlund Haisley. “A lot of suffering ended here today and I commend Page County Sheriff’s Office, Animal Control, and County Attorney for acting quickly and working with Animal Rescue Corps to save these lives.”

This case began when ARC received a tip concerning the alleged neglect of the dogs. Documentation brought by ARC to the Page County Sheriff’s Office revealed several violations of county and state cruelty codes.

“Page County takes allegations of animal cruelty very seriously,” said Page County Sheriff John Thomas. “These animals needed our help immediately so we didn’t hesitate to accept the assistance of Animal Rescue Corps and take action.”

ARC safely removed the animals from the property and transported them to an emergency shelter set up by ARC for this rescue, dubbed Operation Liberty Dogs. Each animal will receive a thorough veterinary exam, appropriate vaccinations, and any necessary medical treatment. ARC will provide daily care until the court determines custody of the animals. If the animals are awarded to ARC they will be placed with shelter and rescue organizations around the country that will ultimately adopt them into loving homes.

Animal Rescue Corps performed Operation Liberty Dogs in conjunction with Page County Animal Control and the Page County Sheriff’s Office. American Dog Rescue provided critical financial resources. Also contributing essential equipment, supplies, and other support for this rescue are: PetSmart Charities®; Page County Animal Shelter of Stanley, VA; Mutts Matter Rescue of Rockville, MD; Harrisonburg Animal Control of Harrisonburg, VA; Middleburg Humane Foundation of Middleburg, VA; Humane Society of Calvert County in Sunderland, MD; and Dogs XL Rescue of Baltimore, MD.

20 responses to “ANIMAL RESCUE CORPS AND PAGE COUNTY SHERIFF’S OFFICE RESCUE APPROXIMATELY 120 ANIMALS FROM PUPPY MILL”

1. Kathy Black says:

Michael, I helped yesterday at the Page County animal shelter. I’m curious of the process to adopt and what the fees will be….It was wonderful to meet you. I really admire what all of you at ARC are doing. kathy

• ARC Webmaster says:

Thank you Kathy for helping! Please note information below:
      Animal Rescue Corps does not directly adopt or foster the animals we rescue. We work with pre-approved 501c3 partner shelters, rescues and foster networks. All animals from Operation Liberty Dogs have been placed with and transported to ARC’s partners. Fostering and adoptions are handled directly by ARC’s placement partners. You can see a complete list of placement partners with links to their websites at this link: http://bit.ly/1ywzdM6. Please note: Animals rescued from cruelty situations may have special and extensive medical and emotional needs. This means they may not be available for adoption immediately and may also mean they require adoptive homes with special and specific experience. Alternatively, the animals may already have been adopted by loving families. ARC’s placement partners have many other dogs, cats, birds, rabbits, and other animals who need homes, please visit their adoptable animal pages to find the perfect match for your family.

2. Salome Morales says:

Im interested in adopt one of the chihuahua puppies …what do I have to do ??? Thank you

3. Salome Morales says:

Hello ..im interested in one of the chihuahua puppies what do i have to do ??? Thank you

4. Robyn says:

I believe we encountered some of these dogs and puppies at a flea market there in Page and we had concerns then about the conditions and were not sure who we should of contacted as we were only passing through. We had been interested in one of the puppies that had a malformed ear and it was scared to death but could not afford the $400 fee that day. Is there anyway that we could find out if this is the same animals that were at the Page County Flea Market or if and when these animals may come open for a new home?

5. Holly Spindle says:

Will these dogs be available for adoption?

6. Jackie Ralston says:

I live in Staunton Virginia. I have worked dog rescue for about 15 years. I have three sections of large chain linked fencing. I have only worked with one rescue organ. and that is a local IG rescue. They have checked my home out and approved my set up. Just inquiring rather I can help with these dogs. I can provide temp. foster home and a safe placement for pets. If I can be of any help, my phone # is: (540) 294-6461. I also do parrots. I am single and retired, so I have the time to spend with these four legged baby’s.

Thank you for your time.

Regards and God Bless
    Jackie Ralston

7. Debbie Armstrong says:

I am interested in adopting one of the parrots that was in the rescue at Page County can you email me back and let me know how I can go about doing that.

Thanks so much for your time!

• ARC Webmaster says:

The birds are being adopted (or have been adopted) through the Humane Society of Calvert County. thank you.

8. Jan Hood says:

I live in Woodstock VA and am interested in adopting a Yorkie. I have no other pets. I had a little dog for 13 years. I can take very good care of a little dog and have a clean house. Dr. Truban, of Woodstock, knows me if you need someone to vouch for me.

Do you know of any little Yorkies that need a good home?

Thank you very much. Jan

• ARC Webmaster says:

Jan – we have recently posted pictures on our facebook page of the dogs noting which groups they have been placed with for adoption. Fostering and adoptions are handled directly by ARC’s placement partners. You can see a complete list of placement partners with links to their websites at this link: http://bit.ly/1ywzdM6. Please note: Animals rescued from cruelty situations may have special and extensive medical and emotional needs. This means they may not be available for adoption immediately and may also mean they require adoptive homes with special and specific experience. Alternatively, the animals may already have been adopted by loving families. ARC’s placement partners have many other dogs, cats, birds, rabbits, and other animals who need homes, please visit their adoptable animal pages to find the perfect match for your family.

9. cathy slamb says:

where are the dogs from page county puppy mill?? I would like to adopt one.

• ARC Webmaster says:

10. My heart goes out to these dogs and puppies in thesedisgusting puppy mills, would love to adopt the little blind chihuahua that was abused so much by this puppy mill that you were able to end this abuse in page county va, i hope u will contact me as I can provide a loving home, and provide a loving life for her.

11. I have a friend looking for a pug. You have one posted is it available for adoption? Also I just had to put one of mine down that had cancer and am looking for a male beagle.

12. Jeanette Blose says:

How can I see about getting a dog from you and maybe the parrots. I am a knowlegable parrot lover and owner,can give lots of love and a family type home to 1 or more of them. I do resuce for parrots and then either keep them or find forever homes for them. I also am interested in giving a dog a forever home with me. I cannot afford shelter prices but can make them family members and not pets,give unconditional love to one.

13. Melissa Foster says:

My friend and I have tried to contact you guys at animal rescue corps as we have discovered another situation here in page county that needs to be addressed, it involves a guy raising shepherds in some pretty bad conditions. We would like to know how to get more help in the matter as of rite now the sheriffs departments hands seem to be tied. with this recent bust we are hoping that The Sheriffs department will not overlook this and will continue to find out more.

14. Does anything compare to the slobbery tail-wagging welcome that dog owners get when they walk through the door at the end of a long day?